Thursday, November 5, 2009

Life in a Metro !!!

Hello people !!! I am back to blogging after a looong time, I guess not that long.. Okay, let me start scribbling in here.. This post, for sure, isn't about the movie "Life in a Metro".. Having lived in Bangalore for atleast an year now, I guess I am worthy enough to write this post..

So where do I begin with... Okay, you are always greeted by a group of people ready to empty your pockets as soon as you enter the city, be it airport, bus stands or railway station.. Let me describe my experience.. I landed in Bangalore on Nov 29, 2008.. Initially I was amazed by the Bangalore International Airport building, which was comparable to other International airports worldwide.. Well there was this guy at the arrival area, well dressed and good looking, offering a ride to the heart of the city for 1200 bucks.. Having turned down his offer, I walked a few 100 feet where I was offered a ride by another cab driver for 900 bucks.. Turning down his offer too, I kept walking another 500 metres or so, n yeah I still continued turning down the other offers on my way, where I boarded a comfortable Volvo bus cashing out 150 bucks..

Well, if its cab drivers for the airports, there are these auto-rickshaw drivers for the bus stands and railway stations waiting to rob all your money literally. Just as the bus comes to an halt, you can literally see atleast 15 auto drivers running towards the bus as if there was a bomb scare at that place.. These guys, with their speaking skills and familiarity with multiple languages, can easily charge you 160 bucks for a ride which normally (or legally) would cost 80 bucks.. Once entered the city, again you find thieves in the name of 'house owners' charging phenomenally high rents for places comparable to the size of matchboxes..

Once settled, life turns to be brighter for a couple of months... Those days in the super-sophisticated offices equipped with ultra-high speed internet, air-conditioned blocks (which includes restrooms too),ambient workplaces and finally to mention the lump sum being credited in your bank accounts at the end of the month are definitely a dream for any guy entering into the corporate world.. Bangalore has this special name "concrete jungle" for the umpteen corporate buildings that can be found in and around the city..

Life turns even more crazier during the weekends with a host of pubs (though I have been to only one), restaurants, not to forget the huge shopping malls sheltering almost every international brand (u name it, u ll find it) and the 'sophisticated' multiplexes charging you almost 200 bucks a movie for the extra cup holder and the lil pushback in your seat... But, yeah, at some point of time you have to console yourself for the heavy price, looking the ambience and maintenance of the place.. Its when I personally realised  that whatever you pay, restrooms in India can NEVER ever be clean..

And now, a treat for the guys, this place is populated with umpteen number of girls where ever you go.. Some modern, some cute, some smart, some hot and some totally haphazard with their weirdest dressing sense (the so called 'fashion')..  

Well, hold on, let me place a bump here.. This maybe just for a few months, until you get bored of this obsession and starting hating the traffic, pollution and the extremely over-priced city of this.. Activities and places become monotonic..  It is at these times, I realize the worthiness of Coimbatore, the place where I have almost spent 20 years of my life.. Its serene environment with  cool weather is in no way match to this city 'Bangalore' (maybe thats what too much of sophistication could do to you)..Maybe one doesn't find the amount of sophistication and services back in Coimbatore as you find in here, but the simplicity very much tempts me.. Yet, I am left with no other option other than to move along with the tide, spending the rest of my life in this concrete jungle trying to discover new activities hopefully..

In short, the life in this metro turns out monotonic within a rapid time, always ready to rob off your money and health, irrespective of the facilities you find in here... Catch ya all soon with another post.. Ciao !!! ;) 

2 "2 Cents":

Sundeep said...

summed up beautifully :)

but, there r pros n cons everywhere :)

Sathappan R said...

I totally accept your point on pros and cons...

Post a Comment